Over the weekend, we visited Fort Caroline for the first time. It's not far from Kingsley Plantation and is part of the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve, run by the National Park Service, the same as Kingsley.
Fort Caroline, is a reconstruction of the fort built by the Huguenots, French Protestants, in 1564. The original fort had a tragic end. It was attacked by the Spanish, a year after it's construction, and of the 200-250 inhabitants, only around 50 survived (mostly women and children).
Taking the ferry across the St. Johns River to Mayport:
The Fort Caroline Visitors Center: