After I had already posted the tutorial for making the ornaments out of the empty mint tins, I had a sudden brain storm and completely changed what I was doing. I removed the hanging loops from the top of the ornaments, added numbers to the fronts of the tins, and strips of magnetic tape (two strips for each tin) to the back. They are now going to be part of a magnetic, steampunk, advent calendar that can be used to decorate the refrigerator.
The Steampunk Advent Calendar is Complete, at least on the outside. Since this was made out of mint tins, I started out making 3-dimensional scenes inside the boxes, but I decided that getting the outside of each box done before Dec. 1, was more important than spending large amounts of time on each individual box. I may continue working on the insides at some future time.
This one is for DH and Blaze, who are always talking about their "manly tea parties"
These were all made following the directions I posted for making ornaments out of mint tins http://overthecrescentmoon.blogspot.com/2011/11/turning-mint-tins-into-3-d-ornaments.html, except that instead of adding a loop for hanging to the top of each tin, I added 2 strips of magnetic tape to the back of each tin. I also sprayed them all with a thin coat of clear polyurethane.