Saturday, July 10, 2010

Chore Wars

If you have children who need a little extra motivation to do chores and homework, this site may be a good way to turn those activities into a game:

http://www.chorewars.com/


Photobucket

It's like a roll playing game with the parent in-charge. The parent decides what hidden obstacles the child's character might encounter and how many points are needed to win a prize. The child chooses a fantasy character, gives them a name, and records the chores they've done.

Here are a few samples of the characters from which a player may choose:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This was most effective here, when I had all three children with me, because then they became competitive about who was doing more of the work.

The program has a choice between using a list of pre-programmed chores or creating your own list. I prefer the option where the parent types in all of the chores, because this can be used to encourage individual school subjects or even good manners and hygiene.

1 comment:

Phyllis said...

Oh, my! I don't know how long this enthusiasm will last, but for now, I can't believe how much chores I they are doing after signing up to Chore Wars! I have tried countless programs and none have worked until now. Thank you so much for directing us to this!

Crafty Crow