Friday, December 9, 2011

Beeswax Airships

This evening I discovered that regular, thin plastic, chocolate molds can be used to make beeswax ornaments, without the plastic melting.

Just melt beeswax in a double boiler. I create my own double boiler by placing a clean can in a pot of water. That way I can throw the can away, instead of trying to clean wax out of a pan.

The hanging loop is made from embroidery floss, which is placed in the mold prior to pouring in the hot wax.

Photobucket

Photobucket

The light colored airships are plain beeswax. The ones that look like milk chocolate are colored with shavings from a brown beeswax crayon (about a 1/4 crayon). The darker brown was made by adding more brown crayon. For the black airships, I added about half a black beeswax crayon to the existing brown wax.


Beeswax ornaments of the past:
http://overthecrescentmoon.blogspot.com/2008/12/birthday-and-christmas-prep.html

1 comment:

Anet said...

I love seeing all the creative projects!
The airships are so cute, and I bet they smell wonderful:)

Crafty Crow