Several days ago, I posted a tutorial on the Steampunk Christmas Facebook page about making window clings for the holidays, using puffy fabric paint and waxed paper. A friend said she had done that same project with a group of Girl Scouts once, but that they had had a terrible time getting the designs to peel off of the waxed paper. She thought maybe parchment paper would work better, but had never tried it. I had both parchment paper and several colors of fabric paint, so I tried it.
It is easy to see and trace designs through the parchment paper.
The designs, also, peel off of the paper without tearing fairly well. Only one of the gears I made tore when being removed from the paper.
The only problem I had with the parchment paper was that it wrinkled when wet, giving the clings a more textured, rippled look when finished.
After the paint had dried overnight and the clings had been peeled from the paper, they were dampened a little on the side that faced the paper and stuck to the window. They have been stuck to the window for over a week now with no trouble.
Update, Oct. 2017:
It's been a long time since these gear-shaped window clings were in this wreath shape. A couple of them ripped when I removed them from the living room window. Six of the thicker gears were relocated to my son's bedroom windows, where they still cling.