At school this week, the children in the Older Elementary (3rd-5th grade) began painting plaster models of the heads, skulls, and tools of 4 species of our early ancestors, using this kit:
The ultimate goal will be to post them all on a tri-fold poster board display, that also explains what they all are.
While I was making some of the plaster of Paris models, I made a set of just the Australopithecus head, skull, and stone tool, to bring home for Blaze to paint. He and I decided to clean off the small bookshelf in his bedroom, so that he can turn it into his own little natural history museum. The plaster Australopithecus will be the first exhibit.
Later addition to this post...
Just before bed tonight, Blaze finished painting his plaster Australopithecus. He mixed all the colors and did all the painting, except for the facial hair and eyes, which he asked me to do. I think they came out really good. I especially like the way the skull looks aged. He painted it with antique white first, then painted the teeth, eye sockets and a few other spots with brown, then rubbed it with a dry paper towel to take away most of the brown.