Friday, January 9, 2009

Music of the Revolution

My mother seems to have everything. Needless to say, this made finding a Christmas gift for her impossible, but it means if you say something like, "we're learning about the American Revolution," she will produce her collection of records and C.D.s which include music from the Revolution.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The two songs from that collection that Blaze is learning to sing are "The World Turned Upside Down" and "Yankee Doodle".



"The World Turned Upside Down"


If buttercups buzz'd after the bee,
If boats were on land, churches on sea,
If ponies rode men and if grass ate the cows,
And cats should be chased into holes by the mouse,
If the mamas sold their babies
To the gypsies for half a crown;
If summer were spring and the other way round,
Then all the world would be upside down.



"Yankee Doodle"


Father and I went down to camp
Along with Captain Gooding
And there we saw the men and boys
As thick as hasty pudding.

Chorus
Yankee doodle, keep it up
Yankee doodle dandy
Mind the music and the step
And with the girls be handy.

There was Captain Washington
Upon a slapping stallion
A-giving orders to his men
I guess there was a million.

Chorus

And then the feathers on his hat
They looked so' tarnal fin-a
I wanted pockily to get
To give to my Jemima.

Chorus

And then we saw a swamping gun
Large as a log of maple
Upon a deuced little cart
A load for father's cattle.

Chorus

And every time they shoot it off
It takes a horn of powder
It makes a noise like father's gun
Only a nation louder.

Chorus

But I can't tell half I see
They kept up such a smother
So I took my hat off, made a bow
And scampered home to mother.

1 comment:

Ula said...

I will have to wait until I'm back with my desktop to split up the stuff I recorded for you. Sorry. This computer doesn't have the software.

Crafty Crow