Sunday, May 17, 2009

Hands-on History Lesson

From May 6th through May 18th St. Augustine, America's oldest port, was visited by reproductions of two of Columbus' ships, the Nina and the Pinta. They were docked at the St. Augustine City Marina, right next to the Santa Maria restaurant.


Saturday, we toured the Nina and the Pinta and ate at the Santa Maria.

The Pinta is a fairly new ship, but the Nina has been around for 17 years, and although I had never been onboard before, I have taken pictures of it in at least three other places over the years.


Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


I tried to convince Blaze he'd make a good cabin boy, but he wasn't interested
Photobucket

We also watched The Freedom sailing into dock

Photobucket

Blaze and I both now have sun burns, but mine is the oddest burn pattern. The wind kept blowing my hair in my face, so the only part of my forehead that is fried is the center part which looks like a bright red "U".

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket


This was Blaze's favorite thing about the restaurant. The waitress brought a basket of stale bread and bagels, so we could feed fish and birds through this little hatch on the windowsill next to our table.
Photobucket

Photobucket

My food was good, but my favorite thing about the restaurant was getting to watch a school of dolphins playing while I ate.

I also tried a new food,

blackened alligator

Photobucket

It was surprisingly good. It really does look and taste like chicken. DH had told me it was good, but I had been skeptical, so after telling me "I told you so", he started referring to it as "chicken of the swamp".

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Chicken of the swamp...roflol!

I love that they brought Blaze stale bread to feed the birds while you ate. And to see a school of dolphins, too...fabulous.

dawn klinge said...

What a fun weekend you had! I think that touring those ships would be so interesting. Alligator would be something new for me as well.

Crafty Crow