Sunday, February 15, 2009

Paynes Prairie State Park

Photobucket



One of the wonderful things about homeschooling, is that it doesn't have to be done at home. When we had a beautiful day on Friday, which is also the weekday when I don't go to work, I packed a picnic lunch, and Blaze and I headed out to the woods.



Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Paynes Prairie is the home of some wild Spanish horses (Florida having once been a Spanish colony). We encountered one of these in the woods, but he didn't seem all that wild. We got very close to him, but he just kept eating.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I had hoped to see some of the American Bison (Buffalo) that are supposed to roam the prairie, but the only one we saw was the mounted head on the Visitors Center wall.

Photobucket

We did see several other animals though, and made this short movie of an armadillo eating:



Photobucket

white tale deer:
Photobucket

I have no idea what kind of lizard this is. I have never seen one like it before.
Photobucket

Wild Turkeys
Photobucket

We spent awhile looking over this old farm house and talking about what it would have been like to live there when it was new, and what Blaze's chores would have been as a pioneer farm boy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Between the prairie it's self and the surrounding forests and ponds, there was a lot of diversity in the kinds of plants we were able to look at.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

3 comments:

Sars life said...

I found your blog through Unplug your kids and love your ideas and have tried some with my boy (4yrs) but he got the biggest kick out of watching your Armadillo movie he still does not believe that it is a real animal. You guys would probably say the same thing about our Platypus

Crescent Moon said...

It's true. I've never seen a real platypus.I'd like to someday, though.

Sars life said...

We have sat out in the wee hours of the morning to catch a glimpse of one but still have not seen more than a blur of fur and a ripple on the water. We have to resort to native wildlife parks to educate my boys.

Crafty Crow