Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Shrove Tuesday

Happy Mardi Gras, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday!


Photobucket


This is not a new documentary. I'm guessing by the clothes that it was made sometime in the 70's, but I'm not sure. It does explain the traditions of the Black Indians of New Orleans well, though. Since Louisiana has the most colorful and famous Mardi Gras celebrations in the country, I figured I should include something about it in our history lesson today.




My family never did anything so exciting for Shrove Tuesday, which is what my mother always called this day. My mom always made pancakes for Shrove Tuesday, and she will undoubtedly call me tonight and ask me if I made pancakes today, because she does this every year.

The only year that I remember this being exciting, was the year that my mom participated in a Pancake Race to raise money for the grade school I attended. There were several mothers who raced to see who could cook and flip pancakes, and then run with the pancakes in a cast iron frying pan to a plate on the finish- line table. It was fun to watch.
She had her picture taken for the local newspaper, running with a frying pan in her hand.








Since I have to work this morning, I do not have time to make pancakes for breakfast, so instead we are having them for dinner tonight.

1 comment:

dawn klinge said...

I look forward to coming back and watching the videos when I have a bit more time. Thank you for sharing them. We'll be having pancakes for dinner tonight....for the same reason you mentioned. ;)

Crafty Crow