Monday, March 23, 2009

Easter Egg Garland

This week's Unplugged Challenge theme at Unplug Your Kids is "long", so we made a long string of colored eggs to use as garland to decorate for Easter.
I've been saving the eggshells for 3 or 4 weeks to use to make Easter decorations. To do this, I use a sharp knife tip to make a tiny hole in the top and the bottom of the egg and then I blow the egg out of the shell. Then I wash the egg out with water and set it aside to dry.
Before beginning our garland, I dyed some of the eggshells with food coloring and a little vinegar in water. Once the dyed eggs were dry, it was time for Blaze to string them.


Photobucket

We used decorative ribbon which we taped to a bamboo skewer. Using the skewer like a sewing needle, made threading the eggshells much easier.


Photobucket


Photobucket

We tied a double knot in between each egg to keep the eggs from moving around and bumping into each other.


Photobucket

All of the eggs got strung without any being broken, although some of the holes were widened a little as the ribbon passed through.

Blaze modeling the finished product:

Photobucket

And here it is hanging above the door to Blaze's room:

Photobucket

8 comments:

So Smrt said...

Wow, I never would have thought you could do that without breaking the eggs!

Tammy said...

I'm so amazed he did it without breaking any eggs! WOW!!! I think only one of my girls would have that much patience to go slow and not hurry.

Very pretty looking. :)

Crescent Moon said...

He didn't really go that slowly, so I think eggshells are just tougher than we usually give then credit for.

So Smrt said...

Hi! I wanted to tell you if you try the marble chutes...if you're going to do magnets, they need more magnet coverage than you would think. I'm going to cut up some old fridge magnets (you know, the free advertisements)and glue them onto the tubes for reinforcement. When that marble changes direction, it really has a lot of force!

Also I wanted to tell you that I got my daugter a moon for her birthday that you hang on the wall. It lights up and scrolls through the phases. In the dark, it looks just beautiful, and it shuts off in a half hour. Her windows are on the wrong side of the house to see the real thing. I was reminded of your moon picture when I saw it!

Amberella said...

I was planning on doing Egg Blowing in the next few weeks...Maybe we should make a garland out of them. Hanging them might give them a better chance of not breaking....If we can string them without breaking them that is.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Christie said...

What a cute and original idea. Very cool.

Joy said...

That's gorgeous! I love it! I also can't believe he managed to thread all of those without breaking any. Amazing. :)

CMamaFishy said...

That is cute. I would have thought the eggs would break!! Great Idea.

Crafty Crow