Friday, March 20, 2009

Spring Flower Candle

We have several of these vanilla scented pillar candles, so Blaze and I decorated one to be his new bedtime story candle for Spring.

I started pressing flowers right after Valentine's Day. Some of them are from the Valentine flowers DH gave me. The violets are from the woods near our garden.


Photobucket

I press flowers in a folded piece of wax paper placed inside a large book, then I return the book to one of our overcrowded bookshelves, where it will be tightly squeezed shut. The wax paper keeps the flowers from sticking to the pages or staining them.

The book I'm using for pressing flowers right now is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, because it's such a hefty tome and we have three copies of it ( we had pre-ordered one to pick up the day it first came out and then Blaze won two free copies from two different Harry Potter costume contests, one at the library and one at the book store).


Photobucket

I melted some paraffin in a cleaned out soup can, in an old pan with some water.

Photobucket

Using an old paint brush that we really didn't care about, we painted the wax over the pressed leaves and flowers, just thick enough to cover the plants in a thin, clear layer that held the plants in place, while pressing the plant up against the candle. In a couple spots, we also had to put a little hot wax under the plant, to get it to stick properly to the candle.


Photobucket

All ready to begin reading our bedtime story:

Photobucket

Here is what we read:

Photobucket

This book explains how people around the world, and through time, have celebrated the coming of Spring.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

I am just blown away with the creativity you have. You seem to have such a variety with all you do with Blaze, and I just love visiting your blog. It is one of my FAVES. I can't wait to do this with the girls!

Ula said...

That is a lovely candle, shame we can't have candles in the dorms. Well we can but they make you cut the wicks off which defeats the purpose of candles entirely.

dawn klinge said...

I always wondered how that was done. The candle looks so pretty. Thank you for sharing how to do this.

Crafty Crow