Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Davy Crockett

This week's history lessons are all about Davy Crockett. We are also talking about how real people can end up being the main characters in "tall tales".

The books we are reading this week are:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This one is mostly just fun "tall Tales", with a few facts in the back. It also includes a recipe for cheese grits.
Photobucket

We also watched this double feature of Disney Davy Crockett movies.

Photobucket







If you feel like singing along with Fess Parker, I found these song lyrics:


Born on a mountain top in Tennessee,
Greenest state in the land of the free.
Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree,
Kilt him a b'ar when he was only three.
Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier.

Fought single handed through the Injun war,
Till the Creeks was whipped and peace was in store.
And while he was handling this risky chore,
Made hisself a legend, forevermore.
Davy, Davy Crockett, the man who don't know fear.

He went off to Congress and served a spell
Fixin' up the government and laws as well.
Took over Washington, so we heerd tell,
And patched up the crack in the Liberty Bell.
Davy, Davy Crockett, seein' his duty clear.

When he come home, his politickin' done,
The western march had just begun.
So he packed his gear, and his trusty gun
And lit out a grinnin', to follow the sun.
Davy, Davy Crockett, leadin' the Pioneer.


Here's a much more modern version of Davy Crockett:



We love They Might Be Giants! As DH put it last night, after we had watched this video, "You can't listen to them without smiling!"

3 comments:

dawn klinge said...

Wow...you found some really great resources for this unit. My son would probably love to learn about Davy Crockett to.

Tammy said...

Did you see The Alamo? The version where Billy Bob Thornton played Davy Crockett? I remember when my son studied Davy Crockett, he really got into learning about him, then a couple of months later the movie came to theaters. I believe it was PG-13, and my son was maybe (?) 11 or so...can't quite remember. Anyway, I debated then finally took him with me on a mom/son date to the movie. We loved it. Both of us just bawled and bawled. It was PG-13 because of the violence, but he and I had talked about it before, and of course he knew about it from learning about the Alamo. He did ok with it and is one of the things he did enjoy learning about when he homeschooled. I'm thinking it's probably to violent for your son since he is much younger than Eric was then, but if you haven't seen it, I'd really recommend it. It's 2 hours very well spent.

Crescent Moon said...

I haven't seen it, but I probably should, since I was helping one of the Middle Schoolers do a report about the Alamo a couple weeks ago.
Maybe I should watch it alone though, because I have a tendency to point out historic inaccuracies if I know the subject.

Crafty Crow