Thursday, April 2, 2009

Our Spring Picnic Bento Lunch

This is always a fun question:

What new thing have you learned lately?

Here is my silly answer,
I learned that the plastic molds for Easter Egg Shaped Jello Jigglers work well as rice molds.

Photobucket

So, now I have savory Easter Eggs that don't contain egg (for those people like Ula, who are allergic to eggs).


Photobucket


I have taken today off from work, so Blaze and I can go with DH to Kingsley Plantation on Fort George Island, just north of Jacksonville. DH is giving a talk there to people from the Audubon Society.


Here is a picture of one of the bento lunches we are taking with us:


Photobucket
The rice eggs are sitting in a nest of rice noodles with soy sauce. The tortilla roll-ups are filled with a mixture of a can of pink salmon, a little onion, and a half package of cream cheese, mixed in the blender until smooth.
The tiny flower shaped crackers, sprinkled everywhere, are rice crackers from the Asian Market.

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Well that lunch looks delicious! I should take more time for presentation on what I fix for my family.

Your DH is giving a talk for the Audubon Society? What is the title of his talk? I'm just curious because we have become avid bird watchers here in my home. May I ask what your DH does for a living? Not trying to be nosy, just curious if it's something in that field...Hope I haven't crossed a line in asking something so personal, lol. Your comment about what you were doing today piqued my interest. :)

Crescent Moon said...

His talk is not actually about birds. It's about the human history of Kingsley Plantation. My DH is an archeologist, working on his PHD. Every summer for the past 3 years he has helped out with the archeology field school that the University of Florida has at Kingsley.
Kingsley is a really interesting place. I'll post pictures and more about it when we get back tomorrow night.

Tammy said...

FASCINATING! We are very interested in archeology around here too. Looking forward to your post and photos.

dawn klinge said...

I hope you have a fun day...your lunch sure looks delicious!

Linda said...

Wow, what a divine looking lunch!

Crafty Crow