Friday, April 17, 2009

It takes a graveyard to raise a child

The winner of the 2009 Newberry Award for children's literature

Photobucket

This is the story of Bod, a toddler whose parents are killed just before the story begins, but he escapes into a nearby cemetery, where the spirits of the dead protect and raise him.

This is the first book I have ever purchased because of a t.v. interview on a political comedy show. I had already heard that the book had won this year's Newberry Medal, and I already knew I liked other things that Neil Gaiman had written before I watched the interview. I really liked the book Anansi Boys, and I just recently finished reading Good Omens, which he wrote along with Terry Pratchett. This is the first of his children's/young-adult books that I have read, though.
Nika tells me that Coraline was excellent.

The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Neil Gaiman
colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical HumorNASA Name Contest


There are some pretty scary things that happen to Bod, mostly when he encounters living people, so I don't really recommend this book for children under 10, but for older elementary and middle school students, I think it is fast paced and different enough to keep their attention. 

I finished reading the book last night and I cried through the whole last chapter.  

If you want to learn more about this book, Neil Gaiman has the coolest book promotion website I have ever seen. It contains videos of the author reading aloud from each chapter of the book, as well as the only video trailer I have ever seen for a book (although, DH tells me that is the new trend). The trailer is located in the "Extras" section of the website.

http://www.mousecircus.com/

1 comment:

Tammy said...

Oh man.....our library doesn't have ANY of the books you mentioned!

The interview intrigued me, too. I'm going to have to keep checking my library website to see if they get a copy of this book in particular soon.

Crafty Crow